… The Third Bear by Jeff VanderMeer. It contains one of my favourite stories involving talking rabbits and Ariel Berg at the Sacramento Book Review says (among other things):
Lushly imaginative and thick with atmosphere, the meanings prove elusive while the stories brim with emotions, ranging from horror, alienation, and sorrow to humor, curiosity, and love. VanderMeer’s stories are provocative marvels which collectively build into something colossally unforgettable.
The rest lives here http://sacramentobookreview.com/poetry_short_stories/the-third-bear/
Oh, and what the hell, here’s a bonus VanderDrive-by, complete with the invention of a new kind of baked goods:
- All stories can be improved by the addition of … stealth and the reduction of speed.
- If I wasn’t writing I would be … hiking.
- My wife is smarter than me because … I am stupid.
- If I could be any fictional character for a day, with no consequences attached, I would be the protagonist of Alice in Wonderland, because I’ve never taken magic mushrooms.
- Donuts (or doughnuts) or danishes? Dannuts.